Wednesday, April 1, 2009

All about Kenny

I am Kenny, a 4th year Mechanical Engineering major, specializing in Offshore Oil and Gas Technology. Academically, my main interests are in the area of materials technologies and the development offshore oil and gas equipment. For my final year project, I have successfully designed and fabricated a hydrophone (an underwater acoustic device used for oil and gas deposits exploration). Due to the interest which I have in engineering, in my academic pursuits, I was awarded 2 Dean’s List awards as well as the South East Asia Exploration Society (SEAPEX) Best Presentation Award.

To have a more hands-on experience in the Offshore Oil and Gas industry, I applied for and spent a 3-month varsity vacation at Keppel Offshore and Marine (KOM), one of the world’s leading offshore and marine companies. The time spent there has given me a peek into the life of an offshore oil and gas engineer. Perhaps it is the various technical challenges which the job of a Keppel engineer offers, or perhaps it is the prospect that as a project manager, I might one day be able to manage a multi-million ship/rig building project; I applied for the KOM scholarship. After 4 rounds of interview, I am thankful that they found me to be worth my salt, and awarded me with the scholarship.
Outside the academic arena, I have a keen interest in the current affairs, particularly in the areas of government and politics. In this fast-paced globalizing world, I believe that it is important for one to be able to think quicker, deeper, broader and further. Thus, it is necessary for one to be consistently enriched with the various views and news around the world. I spend my leisure time reading books and the various columns found in The Straits Times. The consistent intellectual stimulations from the above sources have allowed me to think more critically.

Aside from recreational basketball and soccer sessions, I have a keen interest in the performing arts. Being the president of the SAJC Chinese Society, I had the privilege of working with a very talented and dedicated team of club members. The play which I scripted, directed and acted in was awarded the third prize in the National Schools Drama Competition. It was also a very rewarding experience being the emcee of the 2001 National Schools Songwriting Competition organized by SPH. All these have given me the confidence to lead and taught me the importance of teamwork. More importantly, having only joined a drama club at the JC level, the experiences have helped me uncover a certain talent in me which I never know existed before (I was in NCC during my sec sch days).



















To end off, I would like to quote from a ST “Think” column (it is a weekly ST column which has its columnist circulated amongst the directors of various think tanks/research institutes in Singapore, do read it if you have the time, it’s kinda good) which I read recently, and has since left a deep impression on me,

“Do what you can today, for you may never know whether there is tomorrow.”

I intend to seize the day and live life to the fullest. One should be thankful for what one has now, give back to the society whenever possible; for seriously, one does not know if there is a tomorrow. I would want to lead a meaningful life, in good times and bad.

Carpe Diem.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny,

    Your biodata is really insightful and I am very impressed with your 'hidden' talents! I can see that your achievements in the academics and co-curiculum activites have shaped you into a well-rounded individual with communication and leadership qualities.

    I like the way the biodata flows and how you describe what you have learnt from each experience. The photos are interesting too!

    Cheers (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenny,

    This is an interesting entry especially with the pictures you add on.

    You have highlighted your achievements in academic, in CCAs as well as your interests to read more and stay updated always. That is very good! The skills and experiences you have gained would definitely make you stand out from the rest. The four rounds of interview and gotten the scholarship is really worth commenting! :)

    I believe with your positive attitude and to seize every day would bring you far. All the best in your work after graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenny,

    Wow! You are really a hidden dragon! Your description of the achievements in the academic as well as the extra-curriculum activities definitely makes you a person of quality whom employers are looking out for. I called it the "HVU" (High Value Unit). :)

    Your biodata is very well-structured, touching all the important aspects from academic, hobbies and past activities that developed all the qualities in you.

    All the best in your FYP and your future career! You've found a great career!

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kenny,

    We were right! You indeed have lots of hidden talents. You not only excel academically, but also in all kinds of activity, like sports or even drama.

    All the best to your future! I believe that you would gain lots of fun and amazing experiences at Keppel.

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kenny

    I believe that with all the attributes and qualities that you have possessed, there is no doubt why you are being offered the scholarship by Keppel Offshore and Marine!

    In addition, your talents and achievements will contribute greatly become a great asset to your company!

    All the best in your future career at Keppel!

    Ji Fang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kenny,

    It is interesting to know that you were involved in the Chinese Society in the past, you do not look like you are the kind who enjoy speaking in Mandarin. Haha.

    Nevertheless, I am utterly amazed by your biodata as it has highlighed your academic and creative prowess. All the best for your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kenny,

    I thought you were acting as a stone in the play only, so you were the scriptwriter! I was right to guess that you are in the Dean's list.

    Anyway I think you really have a lot of hidden talents, from academic to sports and even good scriptwriter.

    All the best!

    MuiPeng

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Kenny!

    I love your quote, Carpe Diem. I believe in seizing the day too! Haha you are another high flyer, like Feng Lu!
    I don't know what to comment on your biodata because your impressive achievements have overshadowed flaws (if any) in your biodata.
    I am sure you had a good 4 years in NUS=)

    Cheers, Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all,

    Firstly, I would like to thank all of you for your complements.

    Yuan and Jane: Thanks for the complements! As for the pictures, I struggled a long while before deciding to post them up. With the on-stage make up and the cheena pok hairstyle, I realised they aren't very flattering. :p

    Johny/Cecilia/JF: Thanks for the complements! I'm sure you people will definitely succeed as well in your careers as a naval officer/nutritionist.

    MinMin/Muipeng/Ethel: Thanks for the complements!
    MinMin: Perhaps it's because of my sec sch days, I am actually quite a cheena pok at heart. Fiends who have known me long enough can surely attest to that.

    Muipeng: Ha ha, aside from the fact that I am very good at acting stone, I can also act as trees and 路人甲。And no, if you read carefully, i'm not just the scriptwriter. :P

    Ethel: Fellow Carpe Diem-er, I had a pretty good 4-years at nus yes.. but definitely not all that smooth-sailing all the time. Life has its ups and downs. Important thing is to not give up and try and try. NOC is really a good programme, no harm trying for it again next sem girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kenny!!

    I'm absolutely impressed by your biodata!! It is very well-structured and the tone is appropriate. If I'm an employee, I would hire you! There's just so much potential in you!

    Academically, you are good. Beyond that,you are great too! Being a songwriter, playwright, actor...you are very artistic! Now, who says sciences and arts are mutually exclusive...

    ReplyDelete