Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Last One... ALREADY??

Well, this is the last week of the semester; lo and behold, this is in fact the last week of my NUS academic career. Reviewing the understanding of the value of effective communications which I had before the semester and after the semester, I might say that there is not much change to it. Same as before, I think that effective communication skills are crucial in our daily life. It is not only used in the workplace, but rather, it is also critical in maintaining a good relationship with all those around you: parents, friends, loved ones.

This module has provided a platform for intense practice of this particularly useful skill. Communication skills were practiced in small group discussions during classes, in classroom settings where each individual was encouraged to voice out our opinion. In particular (and it is something very new to me, being the cyber “mountain turtle” which I tend to be), communication skills were practiced through blogging and commenting on each other’s blog. The addition of the new media component certainly has added an interesting touch to this module. Of course, and how can I forget, the group project for this module has not only sharpened our critical thinking and writing, but through working in a group, has certainly also forced all members to utilize the skills taught in class. Firstly we had to try to communicate effectively with each other using the 7Cs via emails and writings. Secondly, it was to learn to compromise and accept that each individual is different, and by working in a team is to try to synergize each individual’s strong points and produce a piece of work which at the end of the day, each member of the team can proudly say that, “This is our joint effort! Well done!” Thirdly, the presentation at the end of the project has also forced us to put on the hat of a “salesman”. Essentially, we had to think of ways to put across our ideas in the paper effectively and concisely, without boring the hell out of the audience.

All the above has honed my communication skills. Although I think the value which I placed on effective communication skills has not altered, I would like to think that after the whole semester’s worth of continuous practice and sharpening, in gaming terms, my communication skills (as well as all fellow ES2007s tutorial mates’ comms skills) have “leveled up”!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Kenny,

    You are right in that ES2007S has provided us with a platform to apply the concepts of communications. Be it oral or written communication, all of us have "leveled up" as suggested by you!

    The blogging component of the module is definitely new to me too and i can only say that it is great to have that. Not just honing my written communication skills, I also learnt to be responsible for my words. And i must say that i have learnt alot from your blogposts. Thanks Kenny!:)

    Before i end off, put in your best shot for your FYP presentation and i wish you well in your career!

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kenny

    Yes, it is the last one already! :)

    I agree with you that, this module had put the things we learnt into practice. In addition, we have learnt new things from each other through interaction in class as well as through blogging.

    Your group had done a great job during presentation! I believe all of us do have improved. :) Enjoy your last week of school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenny
    i agree that communication is indeed important in maintaining relationships whether it is in workplace or family and friends. And i agree with u that a group project is something that synergises all the ideas of each memeber. to end off this module have "levelled" up my communication skills too...
    :) see u around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kenny,

    Thanks for being our group leader and tolerating me and Cecilia nonsense=) I believe you must be cursing and swearing at us for giving you so much things to do right.

    Despite your hectic FYP, you did so much for our project report as well as the presentations. Thanks to you that I learnt 2 new words elucidate and "microorganism". It is defintitely fun working with you.

    All the best in your future career=)

    MuiPeng

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leader or Kenny ?!

    Apart from the tons of work we gave you, I bet you must be cursing at us when we kept telling everyone that you was once in chinese drama. Yes! Kenny is in Chinese Drama .. Haha!

    Also, we really learnt alot from you, based on your 4 years of experience in NUS, apart from the 2 words.

    All the best, happy building oil rig !

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kenny,

    I do agree with you that ES2007S has provided us with a lot of training opportunities in the area of communication!

    In addition, I also agree with you that having presentation really makes me feel like a salesman. Just like how my group wanted to sell their idea of implementing ES2007S as a compulsory module for all Science undergraduates! And I would like to conclude that being a salesman is definitely easy but the process of convincing your customer can be fun and exciting too!

    Lastly, I wish you all the best in your future career with keppel! You definitely remind me of that television drama shown in channel 8 last year about marine engineers!

    Ji Fang

    ReplyDelete